Monday 29 March 2010

Fashawn: Ode To Illmatic

If nothing else, you have to admit Fashawn has guts; given that with his next mixtape Ode To Illmatic he is attempting to spit over every one of the instrumentals off of Nasir Jones's 1994 debut classic llmatic. Or, is this more a case of foolish arrogance? 


Don't get me wrong, in my books, Fash' deserved his place as an XXL freshman of 2010: but as I'm sure Illmatic graces many of your "Top 5 albums of all time" lists, has the Cali. native bitten off more than he can chew?
 
“What took Nas 20 years to make took me like a week” he recently declared in an interview with xxlmag.com, perhaps sensing how this will sound to fans of Esco, he swiftly rebukes “No bragging or nothing like that, but I’m a student of [Illmatic]..." 

Although it may not sound like it, I'm willing to reserve judgement on the DJ Green Lantern hosted mixtape. After all it was Green Lantern who hosted NaS's controversial The N****r tape. But for an album that taught us all so much about NaS and hip hop culture in general, let's hope Fashawn treats Illmatic with the respect it deserves; it's pretty hard to match perfection!

Due for release: Late April/early May (according to xxlmag.com)

Conflict of interests: Illmatic is definitely on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment